We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. See details on the disclosures page
Cauliflower: How long it keeps and how to store it!
.Cauliflower is one of the Keto diet’s most versatile vegetables. There are so many different things you make with it. From mac and cheese, “mashed potatoes”, pizza crust, rice, the list is almost endless. So when I see a good deal on this veggie, I stock up.
One of the biggest challenges to doing Keto on a budget is is getting your groceries at a good price. The second challenge is properly storing what you buy on sale, so you don’t waste it.
I have definitely been guilty of opening the fridge and being greeted with the less than pleasant smell of cauliflower gone bad. So to spare you all of that misery, I’m going to give you the 411 on how long cauliflower keeps, how to store it and how to freeze it.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure
How to pick out cauliflower
You want to start with a good and fresh cauliflower. There is no use knowing how to store cauliflower or knowing how long it keeps, if you start with a bad when. When picking out a cauliflower at the store or farmers market you want to look for:
- A creamy white color. Avoid blemishes, browning or wet spots.
- Leaves that are green, fresh and crisp. Avoid brown and wilted leaves
- A mild smell. Obviously cauliflower has a unique smell, but if the smell is too strong or pungent, skip it, it is a sign that it is past it’s prime and probably won’t taste very good!
How to store cauliflower in the fridge
Raw cauliflower lasts in the fridge for about a week. It can last up to three weeks, depending on how fresh the head is when you buy it and how you choose to store it.
- Do not wash the cauliflower until you are ready to eat it.
Once you start introducing moisture to the cauliflower, the quicker the cauliflower starts to “mold” and loose its freshness.
- Take off that plastic wrap the cauliflower comes in at the store.
That plastic wrap will trap in moisture and the cauliflower will not last as long.
- Store the whole head, chopped florets or riced cauliflower with a PAPER TOWEL in a loosely sealed plastic bag.
The paper towel helps soak up any moisture and by not sealing the bag, you allow any moisture left in to escape.
How to store cauliflower in the freezer
Cauliflower can last in the freezer up to 1 year. Before you freeze, it is important to make sure the cauliflower is clean and DRY. I like to freeze my cauliflower in “crumble” or “riced” form-I think it keeps best and is easy to use that way straight from the freezer.
- Cut up raw cauliflower-either in small floret pieces or “rice” it.
If you’re not sure how to rice cauliflower, the easiest way is to pulse it in a food processor (this is the one I have and love!). You can also use a cheese grater (check this one one). Check out this great article if you need help making your “rice” (article here).
- Clean the cauliflower. You can either blanch the cauliflower or soak the pieces in salt water and rinse. Check out this article that explains the salt water method (here). This article explains how to blanch your cauliflower.
- Let the cauliflower dry completely, then store in a freezer bag or airtight container.
Comment below with your favorite cauliflower recipe or any tips we may have missed!
Join the Keto on a Dime Tribe!
Subscribe to get our latest deals and updates by email.