We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. See details on the disclosures page
There are affiliate links in this post. Meaning if you click the link and make a purchase, I may receive a commission. The links are at no cost to you.
Why Keto KFC copycat Coleslaw?
True confession, I actually love KFC coleslaw. Call me crazy, but there is something about those teeny tiny cabbage bits smothered in creamy sweet goodness, you can’t beat it. But the KFC version is filled with sugar and god knows what else, so the Keto KFC copycat Coleslaw was born. To help fill that KFC craving and stay Keto!
The 2 "secrets" that make this recipe work
When I’ve tried to replicate this recipe in the past pre-keto, it never really worked for me. There were two critical elements I was missing.
- Celery Seed. I don’t know what it is about celery seed, but it adds just a hint of earthy, spicy flavor to the coleslaw that makes it just right. It tastes even better after you let the coleslaw sit overnight. Pick some up at your local grocery store or order some here. You can make the recipe without it, but trust me, it makes a world of differenec
- Size of the cabbage or coleslaw mix. Ever noticed how small the cabbage and carrots are chopped in KFC coleslaw? Well, there is a reason-it maximizes the flavor! The small pieces allow the coleslaw dressing to cover more surface area and seep into the cabbage. Plus, since this is a copycat recipe, I want to get as close to original as possible-including the mouth feel of the tiny pieces. I use my food processor for this-it works great and saves time. If you don’t have a food processor, you can either keep the bagged coleslaw as is or chop finely with a knife.
Keto KFC copycat Coleslaw
Keto KFC copycat Coleslaw is a quick, easy and delicious side dish you can make over and over again. It's so good, even non Keto-ers will love it! Make it for dinner, take it to a cookout, pack it in your lunch.
- 1 14oz bag coleslaw mix
- 1 ounce diced onion
- 50 grams mayonnaise
- 50 grams sour cream
- 2 tsp celery seed (optional, but highly recommended)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp vingear
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-4 tbsp erythritol or powdered sweetener of choice
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Rough chop your onion
2. Add all ingredients except coleslaw mix to food processor and pulse to combine
3. Add coleslaw mix to food processor and pulse to combine
4. Store covered in the fridge. Tastes best when refrigerated overnight
If you don't have a food processor:
1. Finely chop onion
2. In a small bowl add all ingredients except coleslaw mix and wisk to combine
3. Chop coleslaw mix finely for best results then add to a large bowl. You can skip the chopping, but this really tastes best and most like the KFC version when chopped up.
4. Pour the wet ingredient mixture over the coleslaw. Stir to combine
5. Store covered in the fridge. Tastes best when refrigerated overnight
This recipe can easily be doubled for a larger group or for meal prep
Nutrition information not provided as the brands you use will vary the nutrition information greatly.
Let me know if the comments if you liked the recipe. Happy cooking!
Join the Keto on a Dime Tribe!
Subscribe to get our latest deals and updates by email.