Before I tell you all the details on this Keto Potato Salad, I have a confession. This will be a bit shocking escpecially if you’re a part of the Keto and low carb community.
I am not a fan of cauliflower. I especially DO NOT enjoy cauliflower as a potato substitute.
Sure, I’ll eat cauliflower steamed with cheese sauce or baked in the oven with and garlic. But cauliflower potato salad-I’ll pass. I just don’t like how it tastes.
The good news is, I’ve created a Keto Potato Salad with NO cauliflower. I’m going to say it again in case you weren’t listening-that’s right a Keto potato salad with NO cauliflower
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure
What do you put in the Keto Potato Salad?
So, if I don’t use cauliflower in this Keto Potato Salad, I’m sure you’re wondering what I use. JICAMA! Jicama is a high fiber, low glycemic index, super healthy root vegetable. If you want to see all the details about jicama, go here.
Jicama has the texture and color of a plain old white potato which makes it perfect for this salad. It also has a fairly neutral taste, so it soaks up all the flavors of the other ingredients in the Keto Potato Salad.
In addition to the jicama, I use fairly traditional potato salad ingredients which gives this Keto re-boot a super authentic flavor: mayonnaise, splash of vinegar, mustard, hard boiled eggs and spices.
This Keto Potato Salad is perfect for party, summer barbecue, picnic, birthday party, lunch, dinner side dish. Really anytime. Try it and see!
Keto Potato Salad
This easy Keto potato salad is a creamy, tangy, slightly crunchy recreation of classic potato salad and guess what? It doesn't use any potatoes (or cauliflower). The secret ingredient gives this Keto potato salad an authentic taste and makes you feel like you're eating the real thing. Try it today!
- 12 oz peeled and chopped Jicama
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dried minced onion You can substitute fresh onion
- 1 tsp Celery seed optional but highly recommended
- 4 Hard boiled eggs
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vingear
- 1 tbsp Yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare hard boiled eggs. I always use my InstantPot, but feel free to use your favorite cooking method!
2. In a large pot, bring 6-8 quarts of salted water to a boil
3. While your water is boiling peel and dice the jicama into small chunks. Try to keep the chunks similar sizes-they will cook more evenly and give the Keto potato salad a better texture
5. Once the water is boiling, add your jicama and cook on high uncovered until the jicama is fork tender (like a potato). This took me about 30 minutes, but cook time can vary based on the size of the chunks.
6. While the jicama is boiling, chop your celery and hard boiled eggs
7. After the jicama is fork tender, drain.
8. Let the drained jicama cool for about 10 min. Mixing the salad while the jicama is still warm allows the flavors to combine well together, but you can always cool completely and mix later (or the next day).
10. Put jicama in a bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and refrigerate. This tastes best the next day, so my suggestion is to make a day ahead of time!
Let me know if the comments if you liked the recipe. Happy cooking!